Vegetables, especially home grown, are a wonderful source of nutrition; add a little protein and you have a delicious, healthy meal. This is a vegetable packed, tasty meal that can be served several different ways to satisfy even the most picky eaters. The unique flavor of the warm salad and vegetables is highly complimented by the sweet, savory chicken and the tangy sweet dressing. This recipe is wonderful for those watching their carbohydrates or with diabetes.
Meet The Ingredients (Health Benefits)
Lettuce leaves provide a low calorie base for a delicious dinner that is full of vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, B complex and minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Zucchini squash is a wonderful fiber vegetable packed full of vitamin A, vitamin C, thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin, minerals (iron, manganese, phosphorus and zinc), anti-oxidants (carotenes, lutein and zea-xanthin).
Mushrooms are a surprisingly nutritious food, with niacin, riboflavin, folate, phosphorus, iron, panthothenic acid, zinc, potassium, copper, magnesium, vitamin B6, selenium and thiamin. Mushrooms have been found to have cancer fighting properties and weight loss assistance with the high water content.
Tomatoes contain vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, and calcium. Tomatoes are high in antioxidants and have been proven to ward off cancer, heart disease and reduce inflammation.
Apple Cider Vinegar has recently been proven to have health benefits beyond nutritional, one of which is its ability to lower blood sugar. In addition, acetic acid helps kill some types of bacteria and have antimicrobial properties.
Honey is a healthy source of sugar with a low glycemic index and contains natural minerals and vitamins that helps with metabolizing undesirable cholesterol and fats surrounding the organs.
Boneless skinless chicken is used as a healthy source of protein that is not too high in fat, to create a well-balanced meal . This provides lean protein with the added niacin, selenium, vitamin B-6, phosphorous, potassium and zinc.
Bacon in this recipe is limited and provides a great source of flavor and added protein.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 package mushrooms
20 skewer sticks
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup honey
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp honey
1 tsp sesame seeds
Salad and dressing
1 head of leaf lettuce
4 strips bacon (save the bacon grease)
2 tbs sugar or Splenda
½ cup apple cider vinegar
– If you’re using wooden sticks, put the skewers to soak in water to keep them from burning.
– Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and place in marinade for 1 hour.
– Cut up tomatoes and zucchini into about 1 inch squares. Alternate on skewers with whole mushrooms.
– Put the chicken on a skewer by itself.
– Sprinkle garlic salt on the vegetable skewers and place on grill, with the chicken skewers. Grill chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees and vegetables until they are soft but not falling off the skewer.
– Using a pastry brush, lightly coat chicken with honey and add sesame seeds.
– Cut leaf lettuce into bite size pieces and place on the plate.
– Cook bacon to your desired texture, saving the bacon grease. Sprinkle bacon pieces over lettuce.
– In a small sauce pan place apple cider vinegar, Splenda or sugar, and about a teaspoon of bacon grease. Heat mixture until well combined and warm. Pour dressing over salad, strip vegetables and meat off skewers and place on salad.
– Alternative for picky eaters is to make the salad and put the skewers on the side.